Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Snow, Beechams and police!

Did Santa bring you what you wanted? Hope so :o) Take a look at the view from my conservatory this morning...Oops, forgot to rotate, you'll just have to turn your head, or tip your monitor on its side, or something ;o)



My children wanted, amongst other pricey things, snow, and we got it, a few days late, but it's here! There's enough of it for me not to even think about venturing out to the sales in the car, and enough for me to wonder if the dustmen will make it up our windy hills to collect my 10+ sacks of rubbish. Darn, it's me that's got to put them out...hub has just returned from nightshift and was so tired he didn't think to put them out before he fell into bed.

I'm nursing a stinking cold (when will those 7 assorted vitamins from Holland and Barrett kick in?!), have had it since Xmas Eve. That's an evening I won't forget. I'd been taking Beechams Flu Plus through the day, hadn't exceeded the recommended amount, and after our guests had gone and the kids were tucked up in bed awaiting Santa I felt terrible. I thought maybe the prawns I'd eaten were playing havoc in my tum, so I retired to bed with the bucket, leaving poor hub to wait up until kids were definitely asleep to do the stuff that a parent has to do on Xmas Eve, no matter how tired.
An hour later I couldn't sleep it off , hadn't been sick, my hands had pins and needles, and my heart was pounding harder and faster than I could ever imagine it could. I've experienced panic attacks but this was ten times worse!
It wore off after an hour, but I had a rough night and managed to worry husband enough so that he had a rough night too! It was a job getting up with the kids at 6.30am!

During a quiet moment on Xmas Day I armed myself with the leaflet from the Beechams packet, having sussed that it can't have been the prawns, and did a websearch on its ingredients. Sure enough, one of them can cause palpitations and nausea, especially if you suffer from high blood pressure (which I did when I was on the pill and during pregnancy, it also runs in the family so I suspect maybe it still is a bit on the high side).

So here sit I, without medicine, trying to fight it off 'naturally' Thought I might get a good night's sleep last night, but no, following raised voices at 1.40am, a police van arrived noisily outside (snow meant I heard every officer's footstep and the turn of the van wheels) at 2.30am and carted off someone from down the street!

I'm hoping there's a suitably dull film on this afternoon and that the kids will remain entertained by their new pressies so that I can drift off on the sofa.

Time to stop, kids are up and preparing to go out (sans brekkie) in the snow already...
a-ha.....maybe they can lug the rubbish sacks to the road!!

1 comment:

The Reimbursor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.