Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Day we did Epcot

12th August 2009

We were up just after 6am without the alarm clock. We grabbed breakfast at the Golden Corral on the 192 - a delicious buffet where you eat whatever you want, including cake! I stuck to some fresh fruit, bacon (don't expect alot of meat on your bacon, it's very streaky!), egg and grated potatoes (hash browns?) Katie had fresh fruit and a pancake, but she wasn't keen on this pancake!




We were at Epcot for our first ever ropedrop (along with hundreds of other early risers it seemed!) and could only see the tops of a few characters heads!

Soarin' was first (this girl did her planning on the Dibb and in her Orlando books that numbered more than five, we were hitting the most popular rides first!). No big queue, just a few minutes wait. We all loved Soarin. As I sat in my chair high above the Golden Gate Bridge I took a moment to think...I was elated, I was here, I was in America, the land of so much beauty, and I was determined that once this holiday was done I'd start saving for another holiday somewhere else in America! (sorry, gushy moment, but I was quite awestruck!)

Next up was Test Track, only a ten minute queue by this time, lots to look at inteh queue



again we loved it, although the rapid acceleration had my heart pumping for a few moments there! (I'm not a big coaster fan as you will find out later if you count the number of big coasters that I actually rode on holiday!)

Mission Space was next on my plan - the green option! As we entered the building I couldn't believe what I saw and heard from another guest....a mother her child (maybe 8 years old) by the arm and the child was protesting that he didn't want to ride the orange version yet she yanked him along saying that [I]she[/I] did! The poor kid!

Getting to rope drop had been a good plan, we now had 3 major rides done in the first hour!

Ellen's Energy Adventure gave our feet a rest, I enjoyed it, but then I think she's funny and I follow her on Twitter.

Spaceship Earth was to be next but we skipped it as the queue was winding around outside. We cme back to this at the end of our day when there was no queue outside. When we did ride the kids enjoyed the interactive computer screens on the way back down and although we tried to email the images back home at the end of the ride the emails haven't arrived. Luckily I captured Lee and Katie's images on my camera as they popped up on screens inside the buidling




The kids were hot and struggling by now so we skipped Innoventions and The Seas and headed for the Yorkshire County Fish Shop we were managed to find an umbrella to sit under with a view over Epcot's lagoon.

We'd bought with us bottles of frozen water in a small cool bag, look how much of Katie's was already gone and melted by this time:




A slow walk around World Showcase followed,








as far as Germany, followed by a much needed slushie. I recommend the raspberry or cherry ones for a bright coloured tongue for ages afterwards!



Tired (everyone more so than I!) we decided to hop onto the boat back to Mexico, I did want to wander among the different buidlings but one has to go with the majority :) The boat ride was pleasant and I took the opportunity to snap away with my new camera.











We headed for another ride next, not far from our landing place, Maelstrom, and then the Gran Fiesta Tour, which although not as exciting as our first few rides were worth a short wait.

We decided to call it a day at this point and popped into Guest Relations because I'd forgotten to get the kids their free First Visit badges. It was here that our magical moment of the day (I have a Passporter book and there's a line in which you comment on your most magical moment) occured. A man came in and gave Lee four fast passes for Soarin as me and the kids were talking to the cast member behind the counter about our ride on Soarin earlier and while he gave the kids tips on what to look out for, including the hidden Mickey, which we hadn't spotted. We were chuffed to bits (especially me, remember the effect this very first ride had on me? :)) and decided to use them. For anyone who doesn't know what a fast pass is, it's a pass that you get from a machine that allows you to go back to a ride within a certain time period and join a shorter queue, and given that some queues can be as long as 2 hours they are really worth having! We had about a 45 minute wait for the fast pass return time so we visited Club Cool, the place where you get free samples of drinks from different countries (the two on the right were my faves, China was one of them I think)




We also rode Journey Into Imagination with Figment (I loved the catchy tune!) and Honey I Shrunk the Audience (a hit with all of us).

Soarin was just as good second time around, if not better, because we spotted the hidden Mickey and some other small details pointed out by the Guest Relations guys earlier.

We left the park on a high note.

Continued...(I'll try to be quicker with the update than last time!)

No comments: