Friday, November 27, 2009

The day we hit Downtown Disney to eat, shop and play

We breakfasted on Bob Evans 'biscuits' or toast and some 'jelly' or peanut butter at the villa. It took us a while to get going so we decided to veer from my plan of Wet n Wild or a park this afternoon and devote the whole day to Downtown Disney.

We had an ADR for T Rex restaurant at DTD for 11am (which wasn't really needed as it opened at 11am and there was only a short queue).

I was very pleased to make the acquaintance of Manny, from one of my fave films, in there


and even more pleased with my Tar Pit Shrimp meal. I just love shrimp!


I thought the meteor shower was over-rated, or else I'd hyped it up in my own mind!

The kids loved the theming and their cameras were both out in an instant.

We grabbed our server for a family shot too:

The lighting in that restaurant is terrible, it really is!

Here's Lee's $25 platter!!


Gotta be a carnivore to eat that lot! Lucky he was hungry, as was this fella...



We paid a spur of the moment trip into Disneyquest which the kids enjoyed but I thought was far too hot, crowded and noisy for my likeing. We stayed for 2 hours though and I must admit to enjoying a go on Guitar Hero! Here's me, the ageing rocker..



and my younger, more attractive sidekick :-)


While we mastered one of our fave songs by Coldplay the boys shared a game:



We strolled across Pleasure Island commenting on how little of it we remembered other than that we went into the Comedy Warehouse, and although we saw a Comedy warehouse logo on the side of a buidling none of the area looked familiar. But hey, it was 17 years ago that we were last there!

Characters in Flight:
Up, up and away...












The Lego shop over in the Marketplace was next stop. Katie filled a cup with as much as she could cram in.....after spending a good half an hour deciding which pieces she wanted! The choice was overwhelming...








Despite being a long-standing and massive Lego fan I didn't buy a single piece, although I did try to interfere with what Katie chose to put in her fill-your-own pot, while Lee was chief advisor on how to squueze as much into that pot as possible by strategically placing certain shaped pieces in the tiny lip around the bottom of the pot :-)

We also had a leisurely stroll over to the other end of the Marketplace in search of a belt stall from which Lee had bought a nice leather belt and buckle 17 years ago. There was still such a stall, who'd have thought it! A few evenings later Lee got chatting to the man on the stall while choosing a new belt and buckle (he still has the first one but his waist has expanded somewhat since 1992!), a very friendly Pole, who, while making the belts to size, managed to tell us his entire life story, but he was a nice guy and we were interested. This took some time, and in the end the kids and I sauntered off to rest our tired bods on a wall where I took the opportunity to play with my new camera...again :-)

But I digress, back to that afternoon.... We popped into the Under $10 store, my goodness is that place unbearable! No air-con and packed with kids and grumpy parents! I did however find two Disney punches for my scrapbooking stash! The stuffiness of this store finished us off and we were soon on our way back to the car and the villa.

Here's a few of my fave photos from around DTD:











After a rest at the villa we headed off for some mini-golf at Jungle Golf , Formosa Gardens on the 192 .This place seemed very new, and was very well flood light for late night golfing. I think it cost about $8 each, that may been expensive for mini-golf, I'm not sure, it's the only one we visited, but we enjoyed it anyway, for its fun and newness.

As we arrived the sky came over very dark and there was a gorgeous rainbow and fortunately the heavens didn't open while we played...















We had planned on dinner in a restaurant but we were tired and just grabbed a McDonald's drive thru (still, quite a feast given the U.S. portion sizes!)then it was back to the villa for some zzzs

No comments: