Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Revision, am I ready?

Someone, somewhere out there posted a link to this site.
This is what it recommends for revision:

Revision and Lifestyle...

Use student/athlete analogy: aim to peak at the right time and train properly: ok, I can do this...

Get into revision routine, work in short manageable bursts. nothing other than extremely short looks likely until the weekend!
Avoid getting over-tired. when do I ever feel under-tired?!
Avoid working very early in the morning (leads to anxiety oh dear, somethingelse to worry about..) or late in the evenings (leads to over-tiredness, insomnia and clogged memory. I can relate to that..... Only trouble is, late evenings and early mornings are usually my only 'me'/study time lately. I don't think I told you about my 3000 word research assignment finally got finished after a 2pm-3.30am marathon assignment-typing session last week. Only 2 nights ago I got back out of bed at 11.30pm and worked on another assignment until 1.30am...insomnia you see, knew there was work to be done and couldn't switch off.
Turn off frequently I honestly hadn' written my last comment before I read this!, do something quite different. what a perfect excuse to keep on bloggin' this month!

Key Areas:

Exercise ah well, I was going to go jogging in the evenings with hub, only he's back on night shifts again. Ho hum.
Aim for minimum 20 mins aerobic-type exercise (i.e. anything which makes your heart beat faster and your breathing rate increase) 3 times a week. Brief exercise (preferably outdoors) before revision periods and exams, improves concentration and intellectual performance. Ah, ok, so instead of waking up at 5.30am to revise I could wake up at 5am for a swift jog round the block....yeah right!!

Sleep
Regular periods of sleep at regular times.sigh This helps your body clock to function well. Get lots of daylight.

Study
Study in a well-lit room, or near a window. Get outdoors often. Best times: between approx. 9.00 and 12.00 amno good, am surrounded by 26 little learners at this time of the day, and they've got alot more to learn than me :O), and 4.00 & 6.00 pmah well, that's tea time and my kiddie time. Worst times: after lunch (1.00 to 3.00 pm - body clock set for sluggish not an option, more little learners left, right and centre.) and at night (body clock set for sleep!if I'm lucky!) Best to have a short nap after lunch. Don't think this'd go down to well in the staffroom.

Diet
Keep intake of sugar down - too much sugar lowers your blood sugar level, makes you sleepy, and makes you need more! 'Energy' sweets are especially bad for this. Cut down on caffeine - in short term caffeine makes you feel more alert, but large doses lead to insomnia and increased tension/anxiety. But don't give up caffeine right now - withdrawal symptoms (headaches, etc.) can be severe. Sources of caffeine: coffee, tea, cola drinks, chocolate. Know all this, but those cravings are mighty powerful!

Avoid too many carbohydrates (from potatoes, pasta, rice, bread) just before busy revision spell or exams, as these food make you sleepy. not a problem, can resist these.

Note: Starving yourself does not enhance intellectual performance. definitely not a problem, I like to eat :o)
There's a number of other useful links, but that'd be procrastinating. I just need to get on with it!

If you're looking for a good book, check this out. I bought it a few years ago and it was worth every penny.

No comments: