Saturday, August 18, 2007

Post holiday blues

Ok, all good things must come to an end, and so they did at 4.30 am Thursday morning when we arrived back at home. How do people manage to sleep upright on planes? I never can, especially not with Sam's head on one knee and Kate's on the other, LOL! I see the weather here has been, erm, spring-like at best. My garden looks good though, I have some ripe tomatoes and huge lettuces!

I devoured 4 novels while we were away: Time for a change (Erica James), the Abortionist's Daughter, the finca owner lent this one to me and it was a brill read, a murder investigation, not my normal choice of book, but I'll be looking at reading more murder investigations I think), a 'chicklit' whose title escapes me and which I left out there, and Charlotte Bingham's In Distant Fields (a bit slow, not as good as other Bingham books I have read, not so much about WW1 as I had expected). I'm on my fifth, Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth, it's about the murder investigation of a newborn baby found in a barn in Amish Pennsylvania. This is the second book of hers that I have bought and I reckon I'll be buying more. I like her style. Best go update All Consuming with this lot!

The last week of our holiday was a good, if not better, than the first week.

On Sunday night Sam, Katie, mum and I sat out at 11.45pm on the sun loungers gazing at the most beautifully clear sky, filled with stars, and were treated to seeing what must have been more than 30 shooting stars from the Perseid meteor shower in just over an hour(I lost count after 8 in my excitement!).At least I think they were part of the meteor shower, some may not have been, as they did not all come from the same direction. They were so bright, some bigger than others, one looked like a ball of fire it was so large. There were a couple of other moving objects with no fiery tails (not planes either!), perhaps they were satellites. It was one of the most amazing and exciting things I have ever seen. More exciting than the two nights when we saw the space station fly over (although that was an experience in itself). I would have stayed awake longer, wanting to see 'just one more', but everyone was exhausted and we toddled off to bed at 1am.

Monday was Sam's 14th birthday.

















We went for a buffet chinese and bowling....















"do I really have to pose for another photo mum?"


"if I pray, will I get a Strike?"




































Seeing as our flight wasn't until 1.05 am and we had to leave the finca at mid afternoon, on Wednesday we drove down to Benalmadena for something to eat,
































and then on to Tivoli World amusement park until late evening when we had to set off for the airport...




























Nanny and Grandad had to experience the wet ride with Sam and Katie!
































While the bravest I got was a ride on the Big Wheel! I was braver than last time and managed to take some photos from way up there!












































I much preferred the dodgems!

Sam and Katie, on the other hand, showed no fear...




















Sorry the photos aren't up to scratch! I think I need to enrol on the OU's Digital Photography course!

Which brings me to a dilemma...how am I going to fill the winter months at home? Now that I'm not working I can't justify any big OU courses, although I do have a couple of Tesco vouchers and an OU gift voucher I can put towards a short course, maybe the Digital Photography or Volcanoes, Tsunamis and Earthquake course. What I want is a nice little job for 2 mornings a week, but most jobs in schools are for more hours than this. Tutoring is out of the question with hub's shift pattern. I have some ebaying to do. There's my Spanish and exercising, but I can't help but feel a bit uninspired by these because they are what I have been concentrating on since April. I get such itchy feet and am always after something new to do! Maybe I'll hear about scriptmarking for 2008.

Best go load the washing machine again...

No comments: